Tuesday, January 26, 2010

What a Bust

So, I have sort of a bone to pick with Bust Magazine.

I always thought of them as being a hip magazine for the modern feminist/liberal thinker. And I still think their content is great (though I must confess, I haven't picked up an issue in a while). When they held their Spring Craftacular earlier last year, I happily applied. And they happily took my application fee and I was happily denied entrance into the show. No biggie, I thought, I applied a little on the late side. I'll try again next time. So, when they started accepting applications for their holiday show, I applied straight away. While applications started flying in, they sent out emails to the applicants to advertise in their brochure. They (I still can't believe this) had the gaul to say something like, "even if you don't make it in the show, think of all of the EXPOSURE you'll get." It was a little more than $400 to advertise in the brochure. Do you even know your fucking audience, Bust magazine? Crafters make fucking crafts for a living. They don't have $400 in fucking pocket change just sitting around looking for something to do. They ended up extending the application deadline (no doubt to throw more money into their pockets). This is a really crummy thing to do to vendors because the holiday schedule is nuts and you want to cement it as quickly as possible. I, along with countless numbers of people, did not get in. Oh, well. The table fee was more than the advertising fee for the brochure.

Still, I thought I would try to give Bust another chance. I offer a Joan Jett tribute soap in my line and I thought they might have some interest. I kindly and professionally emailed the beauty editor about it and it seems the query has dissipated into the ether. But here's the kicker. I get emails from a person who goes by "Emily A," who obviously works in the advertising department. This is an actual email. No fucking shit.

Reserve your spot now before they're all gone!!!!!!
The Men We Love Issue only comes around every 2 years so it's a keeper! A huge hit with subscribers and a great newsstand draw!
The funniest actor from the hottest show on TV is our cover boy - Tracy Morgan! And the rest of the NBC Thursday night comedy line-up will be right there with him!
It's a can't miss! So, don't!
xoxo Emily

The subject line is: Space close next week!!!!!! 2/4/10

Let's forget for a second that the email is a little heavy with exclamation points. The type is small and CENTERED! XOXO? It's like this was the last thing that Emily A had on her "to-do" list today.

I am just really fed up with Bust Magazine. I feel like many of my customers are readers of this magazine, but, for some reason, I can't connect with them without dropping a ridicuous amount of advertising money. And I am subjected to Emily A's grammar school emails asking for me to advertise in their next issue. Maybe I am just not what they are looking for.

5 Comments:

Blogger Karen said...

piss-poor. terrible way to do business, so unprofessional. you're doing terrific without loading their coffers. if they're extending deadlines, it means they aren't filling up.

January 26, 2010 at 4:55 PM  
Blogger Kim said...

I had a meeting with the editor of The Providence Monthly a few weeks ago. Very hip, young professional lady. They also produce 2 other magazines. They are a small, super busy group. But they return emails and they practice good grammar in their correspondence. If they can get it together with their limited staff, then what's the deal with Bust?

January 27, 2010 at 5:23 AM  
Blogger EmilyABUST said...

Dear Kim,

Per your request, your email address has been removed from all BUST advertising databases.

XOXOXO,

Emily A.

January 27, 2010 at 10:00 AM  
Blogger Kim said...

Emily A. - No doubt you were really super pissed when you read this post. I give you a ton of credit for commenting and leaving me the extra xoxox's (which, I know, were dripping in sarcasm). I'm not a bad person. You just caught me in the middle of a bad moment.

January 27, 2010 at 2:29 PM  
Blogger Joanna Schmidt said...

I was so sleepy when I left a comment early this A.M., it was almost unreadable. Let's try again! :P



I know this has all been cleared up because I read your more recent post. I tip my hat off to you for leaving this oh-so-spicy post alive and not removing it. It proves that you really don't have that smudge of brown on your nose, Miss Kim. It also confirms to me that you are the person I assumed you were....but that's a "book by it's cover" thing, and we won't get into that now, soapy one.

On a completely separate note, I can't even WATCH that Tina Fey show anymore because they feature Tracy Morgan so much. I don't see the charm or talent at all in that dude. I don't get it and why Bust would feature a talentless actor when there are so many amazing "no names" out there that need the press is beyond me. I digress.

Bust remains one of my favorite magazines and when Product Body got featured in there I almost peed myself. You'll get in because your soap NEEDS to be in there. You need to be in there.

I'm sorry it was such a rocky road for you.

xo As I have said before, you rock,
Lots of love from sunny florida, Joanna

January 28, 2010 at 6:10 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home