Sunday, March 15, 2009

Throwing Muses, 50 Foot Wave and Screaming Females at the Middle East

My sore legs were worth it. We stood through five hours and three full sets of kick-you-right-where-you-pee music last night. At times, I thought: They know we are an aging crowd, why are they making us wait so long? But, really, I had no business complaining. They tore the roof off.

Screaming Females, a trio of indie-punky musicians from New Jersey, were a real breath of fresh air. The lead vocalist (and incidentally lead guitarist) was the mitochondria. She whaled, she screamed, she transported me. Her name is Marissa Paternoster, by the way. I hope Screaming Females can help turn the pathetic current bullshit music scene right on its head.

Hersch and the crew did not disappoint (Except they didn't play Counting Backwards. Oddly, this single is not available on iTunes, either. Is there a connection?). It's hard to believe that voice could possibly come out of such a small woman. But it does. And I am ever-so-grateful. I've always gravitated toward female performers who aren't afraid to belt it out. I hate the girly-girl, baby-talk type performers. I won't mention any names (Jewel). Joanna Newsom is a rare exception for many reasons I won't get into here. Give me a gal who tears it up any day of the week! Throwing Muses, 50 Foot Wave and Screaming Females: A + + +

2 Comments:

Blogger Anthony said...

Caitlin told me about this post because I'm currently crazy for the Screaming Females and just saw 'em last night at the Space. I had chills the whole time! She's an animal. They didn't play my favorite song (No Being Disgusting) either, though. Conspiracy!

Other good girl-fronted/girl-based bands:
Mika Miko
Cheeky
Witches
Grass Widow

--Anthony

March 24, 2009 at 4:46 PM  
Blogger Kim said...

Hi Anthony!

Thanks for the female band tips! I'm psyched to have new music to get excited about. The Soap (from Japan) is the one of the only newish all female punk band I've seen in recent years.

We need another Riot Grrl movement!

March 26, 2009 at 5:20 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home