Thursday, March 5, 2009

Hazzard County

I had a little scare on the road yesterday. I was driving in the far left lane on 495 N when the car in front of me came to a sudden stop. I slammed on my brakes to avoid rear-ending the person, swerving my car some, back and forth. I was successful. The person in back of me, however, was not so lucky. These things cause chain-reactions and the poor driver wound up driving right down into the snowy ditch. The worst part is that I couldn't pull over anywhere. There was no shoulder and my best shot to check on them was to pull over to the right, then walk across 3 lanes of traffic. This was not a safe option. So, instead, I drove all the way to work in a state of shock and nausea. I called the State Police to find out if the person as alright. I knew that their car was fine (meaning, it didn't hit anything going into the ditch), but I was concerned about the driver. The officer I spoke to assured me that they were fine. Whew!

When I got off of 495, I kept looking in my rear view, imagining that the person flew out of the ditch like Bo and Luke Duke. I thought that every white car was the ditch person coming after me to make me suffer their wrath. I'm sure these ridiculous thoughts will start up again today. I am my own worst enemy.

2 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

Glad you are ok, seems like the winter, no matter what the road conditions are like, make folks drive faster and break harder/quicker. Happens in front of me most nights before the 93/95 exit. They are usually on their cell phones and not paying attention to the line of a 100 or so cars slowing in front of them.
Nick

March 5, 2009 at 11:00 AM  
Blogger Kim said...

I actually looked down for a split second to move my heat dial 2 notches before I realized that the person in front of me stopped short. It's a crazy, crazy trafficky world out there.

March 14, 2009 at 3:48 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home