Sunday, January 25, 2009

My Dream

I have a dream.

I want to open my own soap store. A real one with a door and a welcome mat. I want the sounds of kickass punk to come wafting out, along with the smells of all the bath goodies inside. In an ideal world, anyone who comes in can watch soap being made right before their eyes. I sort of envision a kitchen in the back with a large glass window for people to look through and demystify the process of making soap. I would like a bath salt bar, too, that works like a deli. You can purchase them by the pound. Bordering the walls will be photos of my heroes: favorite punk rockers, feminists, baseball players, civil rights activists. There will be a large porcelin tub in the window with a huge mohawk clad mannequin bather. She will be soaking in handblown glass bubbles. There will be a sink for testing soaps and body scrubs. Products will be made fresh, daily. One night a month, I will have "free facial day." I will also host events for friends, like maybe my neighbor can have a fashion show of her burlesque clothing. I would love to sell handmade bath crafts, too, like cool towels, soap dishes, candles and toilet seat covers.

I want this all so bad I could cry. I haven't a clue how to get from point A to point B. Especially with bills to pay. I don't know much, but I do know this: Businesses do not profit for like, 2 years. I also know that I am not getting any younger. I am angry with myself for not going after this with my usual gusto. I just feel stuck between *reason* and my passion for this goal.

Any advice?

4 Comments:

Blogger TwinMom said...

Sounds Awesome! Don't give up dreaming, but also start planning, too. Even saving or looking for funding. And, sorry, but it's usually 5 years before start-ups turn a profit! (on average, but we all know you're anything but average) Start researching with the Sm Biz Admin. they have lots of info & help. SCORE is also a good place.

Keeping overhead/costs low is the biggest thing, besides location. Scout carefully! Know all there is about the area - it can make or break you.

Just 2 cents from my experience. You have the benefit of successful web & etsy stores, they should be helpful in balancing it all out.

Good Luck! Can't wait for the opening! :)

January 25, 2009 at 10:25 AM  
Blogger Kara said...

You totally need to make this happen! It will be great! And TwinMom is right, you've already started the business part; building a name and brand; gathering a steady clientele, etc. All of that will help you. I think being close to Providence, you should be able to find the perfect area for a store. Start saving, saving, saving. You could probably run the store by yourself at first, so you wouldn't need to worry about employees and payroll. Definitely start researching and see what you can come up with. When you are ready to do it, I know lots of printers to refer you to for signs and banners at great prices. The idea is great! "You can do it!"

January 25, 2009 at 10:45 AM  
Blogger Kim said...

Karen - I was going to ask you about this, knowing that you have experience. I will need to plan a lunch with you and pick your brain! I've already decided on the Wickenden Street area. Very busy with young college student types. I've had a SCORE consultation on my to-do list forever. I think I was waiting to come out of the sandbox first. Now that I have my ideas more fleshed out and a small customer base under my belt, I feel a little more confident. I just don't know how I could go 5 years without any income.

Kara - Thanks for your inspirational words! I've been out of the printer loop for some time, so I will definitely be looking to you for advice. I think I would be running the store by myself for while, as you say.

I wouldn't think of opening a store in an area that wasn't heavily trafficked. The thing about my products is, not many people would make a special trip out somewhere far away for them. I really have to be sandwiched in a busy place to get the amount of business I would need. The good news is, my products are affordable indulgences so I think I could enjoy sales from people of all levels of income.

January 25, 2009 at 11:47 AM  
Blogger bless_cyborgs said...

E-mail has been sent with great excitement.

January 26, 2009 at 11:31 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home